James J Dempsey
What I do
I'm currently CTO at FYItag, an early
stage startup working on SoHuddle, a new social communications platform.
Before FYItag, I worked at Comverse in the
Comverse Media Server group. (Comverse was later
Xura, and now Mavenir. I was with Comverse ever since they bought
InTouch Systems, a small startup
in Cambridge, MA. When I joined InTouch in Feb 1997, there were only
six employees. While at Comverse, I worked on Tel@GO, a
voice-activated telephone assistant; the Comverse Media Server, a
high performance, standards-compliant telco-grade VoiceXML media
server; the Network Address Book, Java-based SyncML server; and IVE, a
graphical programming environment built in Java for developing
Before InTouch, I worked at
Bolt Beranek & Newman
for sixteen years. I had a great time there and still have friends at BBN. In the time that I was there, I worked on
many things. My wife Heidi also works at BBN, managing
development in the QoS Services and VPN groups.
BBN was purchased by GTE, GTE merged with Bell Atlantic to form
Verizon. Verizon spun off the former BBN Planet (a.k.a GTE Internetworking)
to form Genuity and kept the
former BBN S&T as BBN
Technologies. Later, BBN was repurchased from Verizon by a
private group of investors and is now, once again, an independent company.
Random Other Stuff
- Do you have a Fujitsu P8010 laptop computer in need of a new disk
drive? Here's the instructions you were looking for.
- Looking to buy a digital camera? Here's what I think.
- I am the author of xrsh, a tool for launching X11 clients on remote machines. Xrsh takes care of all the bookeeping of setting the remote $DISPLAY and handing authentication. It can be downloaded as a shar file here.
If you are interested in Lisp, or computer languages in general, take a look at why "Worse is Better"
If you are thinking of buying a computer, then I'm sure you want to know the
myriad reasons why a
Macintosh is better
If you need a map to all of Apple's web sites, check out
from Guy Kawasaki.
- My dear friend Susan Bernstein left BBN after 16
years to become an independent consultant. Here are some pictures from her going away party. Here is
a collage of pictures we took for her party.
- Susan Bernstein and I held a "Good luck" party for
Larry Denenberg who left BBN after 12 years to join
the startup InTouch Systems. Here are some pictures.
- What could be more random than Random Hall. Check out the web page for my old dorm at MIT.
- I'm a fan of German cars. If you would like to see a comparison of the Porsche Boxster with the show car from which it was inspired, then check this out.
If you would like to see some pictures from the Porsche Club of America NE Region Boxster introduction, click here.
- I took some pictures at German Car Day at the Museum of Transportation.
- I took some pictures at Porsche Club of America New England Region Autocross at Ft. Devens.
- I had a lot of fun at the Porsche Club of America Concours in Sept 1997. Here are some pictures.
- Anne-Marie Lambert organized a reunion of the BBN Network Analysis Group in Fall 1997.
- Mindboggling networking expertise
My current email address is: jjd @ jjd.com.
I've been on the "Internet" since about 1979, my first address being JJD@
-MC and my second being JJD@BBN-UNIX. Later, for many years I was
jjd at bbn.com.
Click here if you want my PGP key.
James J Dempsey
Last modified Jan 2006.